FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Family Abuse Center is seeking to hire one full-time Legal Advocate. The Legal Advocate serves as a liaison between FAC and the legal system, assisting residential and non-residential clients as they navigate through the criminal justice and civil court process and access various crime victim assistance programs. This position is located at the Waco PD Family Violence Unit (FVU) satellite office and works closely with the FVU on a daily basis. Successful applicants will have experience working in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence or the legal field. This position operates under the direction of the Director of Outreach & Legal Advocacy.
- Providing direct services to victims of family violence including, but not limited to, assistance with filing for protective orders and crime victim’s compensation, crisis intervention, safety planning, emergency legal advocacy, personal advocacy, and information and referral regarding other legal processes.
- Assist undocumented victims of family violence in connecting with legal protections and processes available for immigrant victims of abuse.
- Establish working relationships and maintain regular communication with law enforcement and criminal justice professionals, including Victim Services and the Family Violence Unit at the Waco Police Department
- Develop working relationships with law enforcement personnel, community agencies, faith-based organizations, district attorney, judges, medical professionals, volunteers, and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Provide outreach or community education to law enforcement agencies to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Assist with crisis line coverage
- Maintain case files of each client session and enter client statistical data in the electronic database
- English-Spanish translation
- Supervise volunteers & interns as necessary
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, pre-law, or social service, or equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Master’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Experience working for systemic changes in the community
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Fluency in both English and Spanish required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently
- Ability to resolve conflict, provide and receive supervision
- Demonstrates crisis intervention skills
- Maintain personal balance while accomplishing multiple tasks that require a variety of skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Products
LICENSES/CREDENTIALS: None required
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Outreach & Legal Advocacy
If interested, send cover letter and resume to Micah Titterington by email (Outreach@familyabusecenter.org) or mail (PO Box 20395; Waco, TX 76702).