FLSA Status: non-exempt (hourly)
Family Abuse Center is seeking to hire one part-time Rural Legal Advocate for Ellis County. The Rural Legal Advocate serves as a liaison between FAC and the criminal justice system assisting residential and non-residential clients as they navigate through the civil court process and access various crime victim assistance programs. A significant amount of travel in Ellis, Freestone, and Navarro Counties will be required. Successful applicants will have experience working in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence or the legal field.
- Provide direct services to victims of family violence from Ellis County, Freestone County, and Navarro County. Direct Services will include, but is not limited to, crisis intervention, legal assistance, victim advocacy, court accompaniment, case management, and information and referral. Assist with coordination of services as necessary.
- Provide outreach or community education to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Develop working relationships with law enforcement personnel, social service organizations, churches, district attorneys, judges, medical professionals and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Provide training to community agencies, volunteers, law enforcement personnel, faith-based organizations, and community leaders on how to identify and address issues of domestic violence and how to help victims of family violence access the resources necessary to move forward in safety.
- Provide supervision for volunteers & interns as necessary
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or Criminal Justice field or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
- Ability to handle crisis situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
- Demonstrates skills of self-direction
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Ability to provide and receive peer supervision
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Fluency in both English and Spanish, preferred but not required
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Legal Services & Outreach
If interested send resumes and cover letters to Micah.Titterington@familyabusecenter.org.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
GENERAL Description and PURPOSE:
The Family Abuse Center depends on the Resident Advocates to ensure that our shelter is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The primary responsibilities of the Resident Advocates (RA) are to provide crisis intervention and referrals on the 24-hour crisis line and provide resident assistance to those in the 24-hour shelter. R.A’s approve admission to FAC in accordance with policies and procedures, provide front desk coverage (answering incoming calls, assisting residents at front desk, etc.) in between hotline calls as needed, provides shelter intakes to incoming shelter residents and help clients move and settle into shelter and participates in volunteer training when needed. Other duties include crisis intervention, meal preparation, maintaining client records, and ensuring confidentiality.
Current Need: Must be available overnight shifts, weekends, and over the holidays.
• High School Diploma or GED
• 1-2 years experience in the field of Domestic and/or Sexual Violence preferred, or the same amount of residential services and/or case management experience
• Experience in social or human service field required
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Ability to problem solve and diffuse conflict under pressure
• Demonstrate experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
• Ability to handle crisis situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
• Strong organizational skills
• Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently and to take initiative
• Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
• Ability to maintain personal balance and accomplish multiple tasks that require a variety of skills
• Demonstrates skills of self-direction
• Light clerical duties
• None required
• Shelter Coordinator
RESPONSIBILITIES OF RESIDENT ADVOCATE:
1. Provide direct services to primary and secondary survivors of domestic violence:
2. Provide non-direct service activities for primary and secondary survivors of domestic violence
3. Maintain Shelter Programming Statistics and Documentation.
4. Maintain a secure, clean, and respectful shelter location and work environment
5. Maintain communication with case management team and other shelter staff.
6. Represent FAC positively and effectively to other agencies, service systems, and communities
7. Other duties as determined by the Shelter Coordinator or Executive Director
Send cover letters and resumes to Jennifer.Mikeska@familyabusecenter.org.
We are looking for people to help volunteer at our Thrift Store 2nd Chance. With the holiday season coming up the staff is getting overwhelmed with all the donations coming in so having people to assist would be a huge help to us. If you are interested feel free to give the thrift store a call at 254-753-6469.
Update 9/28/16: Online Voting has ended! We love all the support you have shown us, see you at the show!
Update: 9/26/16, Doors will open at 6pm September 29th. No tickets have been mailed, they will be at will call. We will have a table outside the doors where you can pick up your tickets. Dinner will be served starting at 6:15, the show will start at 7pm. We have sold out of tickets for the night of, but there is still a chance to support Family Abuse Center by voting for your favorite dancer. Voting will remain open until September 28th at 5pm. Thank you all for your support and we are looking forward to next Thursday! Dance on!
Dancing with the Stars Tickets are on still on sale until Sept 27th 8am. Tickets are $100, $250, or $500. You can purchase tickets and designate your tickets to support one of the dancers or you can just simply buy tickets. Tickets include a seat, dinner and at least 1 drink ticket. Seats are assigned first come first served. You will pick up all tickets at Will Call on the night of the event. (No tickets will be mailed ahead of time.) As of today we are sold out of the $100 tickets and have a very limited number of $500 tickets left. Also don’t forget to vote online as well, see below!! See you all there!
You may also start voting online to support one of the dancers.