Part-Time Rural Advocate for Ellis & Navarro County (Office in Navarro County)
Position Status: Part Time FLSA: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Supervised by: Outreach and Legal Services Coordinator
Please email resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Description and Purpose:
The Rural Advocate will provide advocacy services to clients who are domestic violence survivors in Ellis and Navarro counties and assist as they navigate through criminal justice and victim assistance processes and programs. This position will work closely with law enforcement on a daily basis. Successful applicants will have experience working in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence or the legal field. Approximately 15 hours/week.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Pre-law, or Social Service, or equivalent combination of skills and experience preferred. Will consider college students in their 3rd or 4th year of study.
The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, skill/ability, and licenses/credentials required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Experience working for systemic changes in the community
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Fluency in both English and Spanish preferred, but not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to maintain accurate data and documentation of client services
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team, as well as the ability to work independently
- Ability to resolve conflict and demonstrate crisis intervention skills
- Provide and receive supervision
- Strong sense of self-direction and initiative
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Products and other basic computer programs
- Provide direct services to victims of family violence from Ellis and Navarro Counties. Direct Services will include, but is not limited to, crisis intervention, legal assistance, victim advocacy, court accompaniment, case management, and information and referral. Assist with coordination of services as necessary.
- Travel to communities in Ellis and Navarro counties to meet directly with clients and partner agencies
- Provide outreach or community education to law enforcement and social service agencies to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Establish working relationships and maintain regular communication with law enforcement, judges, prosecutors, court personnel, other criminal justice professionals, and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Assist with crisis line coverage as needed
- Maintain accurate records of client services and outreach events in electronic database.
- Believe in and act in accordance with the agency’s mission statement and goals.
- Maintain personal balance while accomplishing multiple tasks that require a variety of skills.
- Provide and receive peer supervision.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by supervisor.