Full-Time Shelter Coordinator
Position Status: Full-Time Shelter Coordinator
FLSA: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Supervised by: Associate Executive Director
Please email resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Description and Purpose:
The overall responsibility of the Shelter Coordinator is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Family Abuse Center emergency shelter. Key responsibilities include supervising resident advocates, shelter manager, and case managers; overseeing shelter operations; compiling shelter data/statistics/reporting; program development, management, and evaluation; providing case management services to clients. As needed this position will answer crisis calls, supervise shelter case managers, resident advocates, and children’s services and complete other tasks as assigned by supervisor. Must be able to respond to emergencies in the shelter at all hours of the day and provide on-call services and fill in when shelter staff are unavailable.
- Master’s ( LMSW) (preferred) or a Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in Social Work or related field. Knowledge of crisis intervention, case management, social work theory and ethics
The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, skill/ability, and licenses/credentials required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2-4 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence
- Experience in non-profit work and supervision
- Experience in domestic and/or sexual violence case management
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a member of a team
- Experience working with diverse populations and groups
- Ability to offer guidance, support, and leadership to staff
- Demonstrates effectiveness in working as both a leader and member of a team
- Understands appropriate conflict resolution and demonstrates skill in that area
- Ability to handle crisis situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Ability to maintain personal balance while accomplishing multiple tasks that require a variety of skills
- Demonstrates skills of self-direction
- Ability to provide and receive peer supervision
- Experience and ease working with diverse populations
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Speak effectively before groups of clients.
- Ability to maintain accurate data and documentation of client services
- Ability to resolve conflict
- Provide and receive supervision
- Work in basic computer programs such as MS Word & Excel.
- Kitchen Skills
- Bilingual preferred.
- Supervise shelter case managers, shelter monitors, resident advocates, children’s services manager & children’s advocates.
- Train staff on all aspects of case management.
- Provide transportation, on call services and other aspects of shelter management.
- Recommend policy and procedures for direct services in shelter.
- Coordinate and oversee intern programs in direct services with Housing Programs Coordinator.
- Believe in and act in accordance with the agency’s mission statement and goals
- Read and interpret documents such as operating manuals and professional journals.
- Write routine reports, correspondence and appropriate case notes.
- Create/maintain on call schedule with staff.
- Assist in data collection and review shelter data.
- Schedule and supervise RAs.
- Ensure that staffing levels are adequate to maintain a safe shelter at all times.
- Document all client services as well as community outreach work
- LCSW, LMSW or LPC preferred
- Food Handler’s License
- First Aid/CPR