Legal Advocate Intern
Supervised by: Director of Legal Services and Outreach
Please email resumes and cover letters to Scott.Heaton@familyabusecenter.org.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The goal of the legal advocate is to serve as a liaison between Family Abuse Center and the legal system, assisting residential and non-residential clients as they navigate through the criminal justice and civil court process and access various crime victim assistance programs.
- Bachelors or Masters Students - Preferably Criminal Justice, Social Work*
*Social work internships are generally filled through universities in Waco and the surrounding areas. We have established working relationships with these programs and they contact us 4-6 months in advance to determine our internship needs. Potential interns from other universities may be considered under certain circumstances, but those interns will probably need to be responsible for finding their own field supervision. Family Abuse Center cannot guarantee field supervision.
TIME REQUIREMENTS (Mandatory unless otherwise noted):
- Legal Staff Meeting, Time TBD
- Case Management Team Meeting, Thursday 1 p.m.
- Weekly Group Supervision Meeting, Time TBD
- FAC Staff Meetings First Wednesday of the Month, 2 p.m. (optional)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent FAC at community events and outreach opportunities
- Understand the purpose of the Domestic Violence Response Team in relation to FAC
- Publish monthly newsletter for housing clients
- Become Subject Matter Expert on assigned resource area
- Attend Legal Staff Meetings
- Facilitate coordination of services with other agencies
- Special tasks as assigned
- Provide direct services to legal advocate clients
- Provide crisis intervention and safety planning with clients as necessary
- Complete intakes with assigned clients
- Make appropriate referrals for clients to outside resources
- Document client services data into OSNIUM
- Maintain accurate and updated client files and documentation