Full Time Rural Advocate for Ellis and Navarro Counties
Position Status: Full Time
FLSA: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Supervised by: Director of Outreach and Legal Services
Please email resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Description and Purpose:
The Rural Advocate will provide advocacy services to clients who are domestic violence survivors in Ellis and Navarro counties and assist as they navigate through criminal justice and victim assistance processes and programs. This position will also be responsible for increasing awareness of Family Abuse Center and services available to survivors of domestic violence. A significant amount of travel in Ellis and Navarro counties will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, pre-law, or social service, or equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Master’s degree preferred
The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, skill/ability, and licenses/credentials required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Experience working for systemic changes in the community
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Fluency in both English and Spanish preferred but not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently
- Ability to resolve conflict, provide and receive supervision
- Demonstrates crisis intervention skills
- Maintain personal balance while accomplishing multiple tasks that require a variety of skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Products
- Provide direct services to victims of family violence including, but not limited to, court accompaniment, assistance with filing for protective orders and crime victim’s compensation, crisis intervention, safety planning, emergency legal advocacy, basic case management, and information and referral regarding other local resources.
- Travel to communities in Ellis and Navarro counties to meet directly with clients and partner agencies
- Manage Ellis County & Navarro County outreach office.
- Provide community education and training to rural communities and the criminal justice system to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Develop working relationships with law enforcement personnel, community agencies, faith-based organizations, district attorney, judges, medical professionals, volunteers, and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Assist with crisis line coverage as needed
- Believe in and act in accordance with the agency’s mission statement and goals
- Experience working with diverse population and groups.
- Document all client services as well as community outreach work
- Write routine reports, correspondence and appropriate case notes.
- Provide supervision for volunteers & interns as necessary
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor