FLSA Status: non-exempt (hourly)
Family Abuse Center is seeking to hire one part-time Rural Legal Advocate for Ellis County. The Rural Legal Advocate serves as a liaison between FAC and the criminal justice system assisting residential and non-residential clients as they navigate through the civil court process and access various crime victim assistance programs. A significant amount of travel in Ellis, Freestone, and Navarro Counties will be required. Successful applicants will have experience working in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence or the legal field.
- Provide direct services to victims of family violence from Ellis County, Freestone County, and Navarro County. Direct Services will include, but is not limited to, crisis intervention, legal assistance, victim advocacy, court accompaniment, case management, and information and referral. Assist with coordination of services as necessary.
- Provide outreach or community education to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Develop working relationships with law enforcement personnel, social service organizations, churches, district attorneys, judges, medical professionals and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Provide training to community agencies, volunteers, law enforcement personnel, faith-based organizations, and community leaders on how to identify and address issues of domestic violence and how to help victims of family violence access the resources necessary to move forward in safety.
- Provide supervision for volunteers & interns as necessary
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or Criminal Justice field or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
- Ability to handle crisis situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
- Demonstrates skills of self-direction
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Ability to provide and receive peer supervision
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Fluency in both English and Spanish, preferred but not required
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Legal Services & Outreach
If interested send resumes and cover letters to Micah.Titterington@familyabusecenter.org.