FLSA Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
GENERAL Description and PURPOSE:
The Family Abuse Center depends on the Resident Advocates to ensure that our shelter is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The primary responsibilities of the Resident Advocates (RA) are to provide crisis intervention and referrals on the 24-hour crisis line and provide resident assistance to those in the 24-hour shelter. R.A’s approve admission to FAC in accordance with policies and procedures, provide front desk coverage (answering incoming calls, assisting residents at front desk, etc.) in between hotline calls as needed, provides shelter intakes to incoming shelter residents and help clients move and settle into shelter and participates in volunteer training when needed. Other duties include crisis intervention, meal preparation, maintaining client records, and ensuring confidentiality.
Current Need: Must be available overnight shifts, weekends, and over the holidays.
• High School Diploma or GED
• 1-2 years experience in the field of Domestic and/or Sexual Violence preferred, or the same amount of residential services and/or case management experience
• Experience in social or human service field required
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Ability to problem solve and diffuse conflict under pressure
• Demonstrate experience and ease working with a diverse population of clients
• Ability to handle crisis situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
• Strong organizational skills
• Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently and to take initiative
• Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
• Ability to maintain personal balance and accomplish multiple tasks that require a variety of skills
• Demonstrates skills of self-direction
• Light clerical duties
• None required
• Shelter Coordinator
RESPONSIBILITIES OF RESIDENT ADVOCATE:
1. Provide direct services to primary and secondary survivors of domestic violence:
2. Provide non-direct service activities for primary and secondary survivors of domestic violence
3. Maintain Shelter Programming Statistics and Documentation.
4. Maintain a secure, clean, and respectful shelter location and work environment
5. Maintain communication with case management team and other shelter staff.
6. Represent FAC positively and effectively to other agencies, service systems, and communities
7. Other duties as determined by the Shelter Coordinator or Executive Director
Send cover letters and resumes to Jennifer.Mikeska@familyabusecenter.org.