FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Family Abuse Center is seeking to hire one temporary Outreach Advocate. The Outreach Advocate serves as a liaison between FAC and the criminal justice system and community. A significant amount of travel in Ellis and Navarro Counties will be required. Successful applicants will have experience conducting outreach or public relations campaigns, as well as experience working in the field of domestic and/or legal field. Position is for 40 hours/week.
- Provide outreach and community education to help identify victims of family violence and provide or refer them to needed services
- Work with the Director of Outreach & Legal Advocacy to develop a long-term plan for implementing effective policies and systems in Ellis County to connect family violence victims with FAC services.
- Develop working relationships with law enforcement personnel, social service organizations, churches, district attorneys, judges, medical professionals and other entities that work with or encounter victims of family violence
- Provide training to community agencies, volunteers, law enforcement personnel, faith-based organizations, and community leaders on how to identify and address issues of domestic violence and how to help victims of family violence access the resources necessary to move forward in safety.
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, or Criminal Justice Field Preferred
- Community outreach and development experience
- 1-3 years experience in the field of domestic and/or sexual violence preferred
- Knowledge of criminal and civil proceedings
- Experience working with diverse people and groups
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working as both a leader and a team member
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates experience and ease working with a diverse population of community partners
- Demonstrates strong skills of self-direction and creativity
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrates effectiveness as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize job responsibilities
- Ability to receive peer supervision
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products
- Fluency in both English and Spanish preferred, but not required
LICENSES/CREDENTIALS: None required
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Outreach & Legal Advocacy
Send cover letters and resumes to Micah.firstname.lastname@example.org.